Monday, July 4, 2011

Independence from myself

Today was day one of marathon training. The thought of running 26.2 still scares the living bejesus out of me. I find it ironic in a way that I finally lost my first toenail due to running the night before I began chipping away at the 435 to get to 26.2. Luckily there was already one growing underneath a bit, so it's not completely tragic, but still upsetting.

As I sit outside on this Independence day, listening to neighbors chatter over bbq, fireworks and kids playing horseshoes, I feel like this is a start to gain independence from myself. The thoughts and feelings that trap me and hold me back from really breaking free.

I had an amazing chat today with PK. He's so awesome, I really admire him. He's a fantastic runner and overall athlete, a perfectly fit guy, yet, he's still open with me about his own struggles with training and journaling his food. I can always tell him whatever is on my mind and he doesn't judge, he just listens. He provides me with words of inspiration and then tells me something he's currently struggling with, so I don't ever feel alone. I'm so glad he'll be in Phoenix to train with.

I've decided to ditch the online food journal and go back to good 'ol pen and paper. No excuses not to write it down because I'm not at a computer. I know this is the key to get me to my goals, it's tried and true and has worked before.

I think, actually, I know I'm ready to get off this plateau I've been camping out on for the last 12 months and ready to get back to business. Of course I'm starting this right at the worst time, I'm going to be gone the next 3 of 4 weekends, but maybe that's the best time. Work hard, play hard is the motto for July. Not that I don't usually live by that, but it seems more important than ever.

Just like a run, life has seemed to go slower in the first half than the second half. On a run it seems like forever to get to the half way mark, yet the 2nd half flies by. It felt like my whole life up until recently, I was always anxious to get through something and time crept by; high school, college, MBA. Then all the sudden I woke up one day and time starting flying out of the hour glass. Days just melt into months and now seem to melt into years.

November 5. Seems so far away but yet, it will be here before I know it.

3 down, 432 to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment